A public dumping ground for words and pictures. Contact me at ThomasTamblyn@Gmail.com

Sunday 13 November 2011

Gunners and incisors

Pirates and mad surgeons; going a little bit retro here.

 The pirate gunners feel a bit old-fashioned to me. I think it's the feet - I've largely stopped varying feet/boots now. But for pirates I think a wide variety in clothing is a good thing. Only one of them has variant legs, but I think it's best to consider the torso+legs as one element.

The guns are deliberately over-large so that I could detail them a bit better. They're far from perfect though. Particularly the way #3 carries his. Doesn't feel right. #2 and 1 are okay though I think. The cannon-style gun is particularly cute. Maybe it's that #3 is too vanilla in general. Should I have mixed the parts differently?

I'm also iffy on the colours. I can't point to any one thing to change, but they seem very earthy and subdued overall. I got to a point where I gave up and moved on. Coming back with a brighter palette later on would be easy.

Now, surgeons. "incisors" to be specific. These are also old-fashioned in my eyes due to the gowned body. I like the super-slim waist combined with the broad manly shoulders and power-tool. It gives them a distinctive look. I continue to be a big fan of men with exposed armpits.

There wasn't much for me to do here with colour detail. The gowns resisted any kind of crease-highlighting that didn't look over-the-top. Originally I was going to confine the blood to the tools in a tasteful (but unrealistic) manner, but it left the gowns looking so sparse...

Number 3 got a bit messy. I figure when you're using a chainsaw there may be a little splatter. It's given him a distinctive appearance though.

The design of the tools is something I worked on for ages. The bodies are a little wishy-washy, but I like the business-ends. I don't think there's any other way to do a chainsaw in this style without a crazy line-count. With the nifty blood pattern on the rotary cutter, it might not need those extra "blade" lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment